WINSOR RETURNS TO AID HOCKEY SEPTET

DECIDE TO NUMBER PLAYERS

The appearance of Alfred Winsor Jr. '05 on the Arena ice yesterday was the feature of a one-hour session of rapid fire scrimmage between Teams A and B of the University hockey squad. Mr. Winsor, originator of the Harvard system of hockey strategy and tactics, and former captain of the Crimson seven, aided Head Coach William H. Claflin '15 in drilling the first squad.

Poor ice, on the Charlesbank rinks yesterday afternoon made it impossible to hold practice for the second team and the Freshman squad, and a number of players from the scrubs were advanced to the first squad and ordered to report at the Arena. The Freshmen, under the leadership of Coach L. M. Lombard '17, were taken for a cross-country run to keep them in condition.

Humphrey Replaces Stillman

Team A as lined up on the ice at the Arena showed only one change from Monday's line-up, R. S. Humphrey '21, a regular on his Freshman team, though unable to play on the University squad last season, replacing E. Stillman '21, who opened with Team B. R. W. Emmons 3d ocC., and F. McN. Bacon '21 continued at right and left wing, Captain E. L. Bigelow '21 at right and H. B. W. Snelling '21 at left center, with G. Owen '23 and Humphrey as defense players, and J. Holmes '21 at goal.

No score was kept during the scrimmage but the trial sevens were almost equally matched and not until nearly the entire Team B had been replaced with substitutes was the superiority of the first team notable. The latter septet lined up with D. Angler '22 and C. W. Baker Jr. '22 at wings, J. M. Martin '22 and R. W. Buntin '21 in the center positions, R. W. Gratwick '22 and E. Stillman '21 on the defense, and C. Stillman '21 at the cage.

Players Will be Numbered

Manager George Brown of the new Arena stated yesterday that all teams playing on that rink will be numbered for the convenience of spectators. Harvard will be among those teams to adopt the identification, Coach Claflin stated, since there are no masked plays in hockey, and consequently no fear of betrayal of any formations through individuals being plainly marked.

From reports coming from Nova Scotia, it seems likely that the M. I. T. and Harvard sevens will have their hands full in their contests against the fast King's College septet. The Canadian skaters have been on the ice for more than six weeks, and under the leadership of Captain R. Parnell are said to be rapidly rounding into shape. Two members of this year's team, T. H. Winter and G. White, were all-collegiate hockey selections last year in the Provinces. The University men will have a slight advantage in being able to watch the visitors when the latter meet M. I. T. Friday evening before their clash with the Crimson team on Saturday.