YEARLING QUINTET EDGES UNIVERSITY OUT OF VICTORY

FIRST TEAM MISSES EASY SHOTS AGAIN AND AGAIN

Coming up from behind in the middle of the second half, the Freshman quintet tied the University five in a hard-fought game at the Freshman Gymnasium yesterday and in a five-minute overtime period gathered five points while they held their red-jerseyed opponents to no score. The score stood 41-36 for the yearlings at the end of the overtime. Coach Wachter's men forged ahead early in the game but their lead was finally overcome, mainly by the remarkable playing of L. Gordon '24 and P. Jenkins '24, who together turned in thirty-one points for their team. Gordon led in the individual scoring, caging seven baskets and adding five points from the foul line. R. W. Fitts '23 was a close second with four baskets and six goals out of ten chances on fouls.

The shooting of the University players was woefully weak, every man repeatedly missing easy chances from under the basket. The Freshman forwards on the other hand continually furnished thrills with their brilliant shots from mid-floor. Coach Wachter's best combination seems to be Fitts and A. E. McLeish '23 in the forward positions, H. B. Tyson '23 at center, and J. R. Tolbert '22 and S. B. Chase '21 in the backfield. When Fitts is shifted to center the team appears to lose most of its offensive power, for he is naturally a forward and lacks the defensive power necessary to a center. The Crimson players will therefore probably take the floor against Worcester on Saturday with Tyson at center.

University Starts Strong

The University team started off with a rush, Fitts and Tyson breaking through soon after the opening whistle had blown, but Gordon nearly evened matters with his whirlwind playing. At first the red-jerseyed men easily outplayed the yearlings, who kept up their score only by long chance shots by Jenkins and Gordon. H. V. Miller '23 was sent in for Tyson in the middle of the first half and later Fitts was shifted to center, T. C. McConnell '21 replacing him at right forward. The period ended with Coach Wachter's men in the lead, 21-16.

The Freshmen opened the second half with a perfect fusilade of shots at the Crimson team's basket, but the University players managed to hold the lead until nearly the end, when the score was tied.

In the overtime period, Gordon was first to score, on a foul which he quickly followed with a basket. Jenkins added another two points and the game was over.

Tolbert, Fitts and H. E. Feiring '28, who went in at right guard, all played well for the University, while Jenkins and Gordon of course were the stars of the yearlings.

The score: UNIVERSITY.  FRESHMEN. Fitts, McConnell, Pallo, r.f.  l.g., Rudofsky McLeish, l.f.  r.g., Black Tyson, Miller, Fitts, c.  c., Sipp, Stevens Tolbert, l.g.  r.f., Gordon Chase, Depopolo, Feiring, r.g.  l.f., Jenkins, Wesserman

Score, Freshman 41, University 36. Goals from field, Gordon 7, Jenkins 6, Fitts 4, McLeish 4, McConnell 4, Sipp 3, Tyson 2, Chase 1, Black 1, Wesserman 1. Goals from fouls, Fitts 6, Gordon 5. Referee, Walter.