SECOND-ASTRONOMICAL LECTURE TONIGHT AT 8

Dr. Harlaw Shapley Will Speak at Jefferson Physical Laboratory on "Stars and Atoms"--Lecture to be Illustrated

"Stars and Atoms" will be the subject of a lecture which will be given this evening at eight o'clock in the lecture room of the Jefferson Physical Laboratory by Dr. Harlow Shapley of the College Observatory. The lecture will be illustrated and will be open to all members of the University and their friends.

Last Monday night Dr. Shapley described the various types of astronomical bodies that exist in space and the methods used in determining their immense distances. Some recent photographs were thrown upon the screen showing great stretches of dark nebulae crowding the Milky Way.

Dr. Shapley has recently returned from Mt. Wilson Observatory in Pasadena, where he has been doing some important research work. The results of his work have been the formation of newer methods of determining stellar distances which are far more accurate than the old methods and which can estimate distances very much greater than was possible with the systems used before, enabling him to disprove many of the theories of earlier astronomers.