CREW AND TENNIS MOST POPULAR FALL SPORTS

Statistics Show That 54 Percent of Freshman Class Are Taking Part in Organized Sports--Forty Men in Equitation

The Department of Physical Education announced yesterday that 668 Freshmen had thus far enrolled in some athletic activity, and of these, 363, or about 54 percent of the whole, have signed up for organized sports. This shows a decrease from last year for, although there are a few more in number than last year, the class is much larger and the percent, 54, is decidedly less than the 60 percent which were enrolled last year. This is probably due, however, to the fact that there is no baseball this fall, a sport which, last year, was used by nearly 40 yearlings to satisfy the physical requirements, and also to the fact that the fall lacrosse season has not been under way long enough to give an opportunity for many 1925 men to sign up.

In popularity of preference crew and tennis are very nearly equal, there being 157 men on the river, and 155 playing tennis. Football comes next with a record squad of 106, and after it swimming with 65.

The remainder of the men in organized sports are out for track, of which there is a squad of 50, cross country with 26, and soccer, which has 24 men enrolled.

The unorganized sports group is divided into four different sections, each reporting three times a week and at different times in the afternoon. Tennis, swimming, handball, and the five o'clock gym class, which has now started and is available to any member of the University, comprise the unorganized sports.

Forty men are satisfying their requirements by electing equitation, which is given by the University in conjunction with the Department of Military Science.

The following table shows the number of Freshmen engaged in each sport as compared with those of last fall:

1925  1924Crew,  157  146Cross-Country,  26  17Equitation,  40  24Fencing,  1  0Football,  106  70Handball,  55  25Soccer,  24  20Swimming,  65  45Tennis,  155  115Track,  50  6