TO HONOR JOHN HARVARD

To Hold Special Service in Appleton Chapel at 8.45 Saturday Morning--Open Special Exhibition

This Saturday will be the three hundred and fourteenth anniversary of John Harvard's birthday. A special service will be held in Appleton Chapel at 8.45 o'clock in the morning, and conducted by the Reverend Augustus Mendon Lord '83, D.D., of Providence, the regular College preacher for the week. The service will be open to the public.

In addition, a special John Harvard exhibition, arranged by the Harvard Memorial Society, will be open throughout this week in the Treasure Room in the Widener Library. The documents and pictures on view include a photograph of the Stratford Parish Register, showing the record of the marriage of John Harvard's Mother; Photographs of the signatures of John Harvard on the books of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, which he attended; early views of London showing the houses in Southwark, in one of which he was born, original copies of "New England's First Fruits" and other early books and manuscripts containing early accounts of his bequest and the founding of the College; photographs and accounts of the Harvard Chapel at Southwark Cathedral and of Harvard House in Stratford and the "John Harvard book". This latter is the only volume now in existence which is known to have been in John Harvard's possession. Left to the College along with the rest of his library, it alone survived the fire of 1764 which destroyed the original Harvard Hall.