RIFLE TEAM-LOSES MATCH' TO IOWA STATE 403 TO 363

Marksmen Make Poor Showing in First Contest of Season--Maine Next Oppanent

The first match of the University rifle team was held last Friday night and Saturday morning when the University marksmen lost to the Iowa State University with a score of 403 to 363. This was an offhand or standing match held under the rules of the National Rifle Association which require that the men shoot off-hand one week and prone the next.

Ten men shoot each week but only the five highest scores, are counted. The highest possible score for one man is 100. The University men who qualified and their scores were as follows: Captain C. J. Young '21, 79; Arthur Rotch '21, 78; W. B. Darling '22, 77; H. H. Fuller '23, 65; and A. L. Jacobs '22, 64; total 363. The other men who shot, in the order of their scores were: E. G. Lund '23, W. H. Forbes '23, Geoffrey Bolton '23, S. K. Bolton '21 and J. C. Burchard '21.

The Iowa marksmen who, due to a delay in counting the scores, were not heard from till yesterday morning, shot considerably better; their scores follow: Parker, 88; Wilkinson, 88; Barrans, 80; Morris, 75; Halback, 72; total, 403.

This present week is the second of the National Rifle Association tournament and the University will shoot against the University of Maine in a prone match.