BASEBALL SQUAD ON TURF

First Practice Yesterday Outdoors Lasted an Hour and a Half-Squad to Be Cut Next Week

Mild weather yesterday afternoon permitted the baseball squad to hold its first outdoor practice of the season, and for one hour and a half the candidates went through a fielding, base-running and batting work-out.

The pitchers afforded the infielders and outfielders batting, using only straight balls; but after three quarters of an hour the moundsmen finished the afternoon's session in the cage. Flies were knocked to the outfielders and Coach Slattery gave the infielders grounders. Two infields were at work, one composed of J. C. Bancroft '23 at first, E. C. Lincoln '22, Captain R. W. Emmons 3rd '21, and A. J. Conlon '22 at second, third, and shortstop respectively; and Team B lined up with C. C. Lee '23 on first, C. J. Mason '22 at second, D. McK. Key '22 at shortstop, and W. J. Banes '22 at third base. R. B. Shaw '21 substituted at shortstop for Conlon during part of the practice.

Although rather damp the turn needs only two or three days of mildness to allow a full afternoon's outdoor work. Coach Slattery is planning to have teams A and B play daily practice games next week, weather permitting. If this is possible there will be a cut at the end of next week.