UNIVERSITY TEAM TIED BY SUBS IN PRACTICE CONTEST

GOODE, BUELL, AND BLAIR ON MOUND FOR TEAM A

The University baseball squad engaged in the first practice game of the season yesterday afternoon when teams A and B played for five innings to a 2 to 2 tie. Although a chilly northeast wind was blowing across the field, Coach Slattery decided that a lively workout on the Freshman diamond would be more profitable than an afternoon spent in the cage.

E. F. Goode '22, C. C. Buell '23, and J. M. A. Blair '23 were on the mound at different times for team A, but none used curves. Several singles and doubles were made off their deliveries, but only two scores were recorded. J. S. Clark '23, playing on team B, touched Goode for a double and scored directly afterwards when C. C. Lee '23 hit into left field for two bases. In the fourth inning R. B. Shaw '21 was passed by Buell and ultimately scored on a wild pitch. Buell showed the greatest speed of the pitchers, but he lacked control.

Team A Hits Freely

For team B, E. S. Hobbs ocC., J. C. Watson '23, and J. B. Anastas '23 were the pitchers, but the trio did not keep Team A from hitting. E. C. Lincoln '22 gathered the first run against them in the opening period, after singling; and in the third inning A. J. Conlon '22 crove a long triple into center field, scoring a moment later when D. F. Thayer '23 hit to right field.

The line-up of the teams and the batting order follows:

Team A: A. J. Conlon '22 s.s.; D. F. Thayer '23, l.f.; R. W. Emmons 3rd. ocC., 2b.; J. C. Bancroft '23, 1b.; E. C. Lincoln '22, 3b.; L. A. Hallock '22, c.f.; H. C. Janin '22, r.f.; R. H. Keegan '23, c.; E. F. Goode '22, C. C. Buell '23, and J. M. A. Blair '23, p.

Team B: R. B. Shaw '21, s.s.; J. S. Clark '23, l.f.; W. J. Banes '22 and D. McK. Key '22, 3b.; C. C. Lee '23, 1b.; Robert Worthington '23, c.f.; F. B. Crocker '22, r.f.; C. J. Mason '22, 2b.; J. P. Scott '22, c.; E. S. Hobbs ocC., J. C. Watson '23, and J. B. Anastas '23, p.