AMBASSADOR HARVEY

Of all the achievements possible to a political writer, none is so universally admired as to make a president. For the time being "Warwick is greater than the king," George Harvey, the choice of President Harding for Ambassador to the Court of St. James, has been formally approved of by the British nation. He is accredited with having made one president and has aided in the election of another; he is one of the few public men who have been able to change from one party to another. The originator of the political power of Woodrow Wilson, he received nothing for his efforts, but in due course of time turned against Mr. Wilson and helped to defeat the latter's dearest project--the League of Nations. Mr. Harvey then became a republican and supported the nomination of President Harding. And now as a reward he has been asked to succeed John W. Davis at London.

His appointment has been the subject of much debate. In England he is little known save through his writings in "Harper's Weekly" and in other magazines. He is a nationalist as opposed to those who think that it is possible to merge American life into a commercial pool. Socially and oratorically, he may be judged as qualified to receive the ambassadorship but it has been pointed out that he has been considered of uncompromising temperament in political differences and that he could not assume an uncompromising attitude and be successful with the British foreign office as it is now constituted. Thus, although deserving of praise in many ways, there are many misgivings over his fitness as a diplomat, which make it doubtful whether he will be able to equal the standard set by his predecessor in diplomatic circles.