ELI AND PRINCETON CREWS WELL ADVANCED

Coach Guy Nickals Satisfied With Yale's Prospects--Doctor Spaeth Says That Tigers Will Not Enter the Regatta at Poughkeepsie

With the advent of warm weather during the past week, the crews at Princeton and Yale have settled down to hard work.

The return of Head Coach Guy Nickals on Monday night has given rowing at Yale an impetus. Looking over the various crews on Tuesday, Coach Nickals expressed himself as very well satisfied with the outlook, and in view of the advanced development of his men and of the open winter, determined to send the eights from the machines at the gymnasium to the Adee boathouse on the harbor the next day. The return of Coach Nickals has aroused enthusiasm at New Haven, where Yale is looking forward to a repetition of Nickals' wins over the University in 1914 and 1915.

Shortly before the return of the coach, Yale suffered the loss of G. E. Ellis, who rowed at 7 at New London last year and was the only veteran of last year's boat beside Captain Hurd; Ellis, who had rowed on the first eight for two years, had to leave college on account of scholastic difficulties. To replace the loss of Ellis, the Blue has been strengthened by two football men, Albert Into and Jack O'Brien, both of whom weigh over 180 pounds and are expected to be given a chance in the middle of the boat.

Dr. J. P. Spaeth, Princeton coach, issued a statement last week to the effect that as a representative of Princeton's rowing policy, he strenuously opposed any race of over two miles, and that for this reason Princeton would not go to the Poughkeepsie Regatta this year.