21 SHELLS OUT ON RIVER

Fog Hampers Workout of Oarsmen Yesterday--Princeton Rowing on Lake Carnegie

The second day of regular practice yesterday saw 21 shells on the river during the afternoon working under the tutelage of the small army of coaches who have assembled as a result of the start of the 1921 crew season. A fog rising from the water made a workout difficult and so practice was not very stiff and consisted of short rows near the Weld and Newell boathouses.

Coach Haines made only one change in the seating of the University eights today, installing E. S. Matthews '23 at 2 on Crew D in place of W. O. Clark '23.

Simultaneously with the beginning of active open water crew work at the University during the current week, the Princeton and Cornell oarsmen have been sent out into the shells and work at Yale begun.

For the first time in nearly a decade the Tiger boats got onto Carnegie Lake as early as March, when Dr. Spaeth sent out eight crews on Monday; four letter men were in the first boat.

At Ithaca outside work began on the same day, when two university and two Freshman eights were sent out onto Cayuga Inlet; one of the university boats is entirely composed of last year's championship Freshman crew.

Twenty-five eights were on the river at New Haven on Monday. Coach Guy Nickalls sent C. M. Trowbridge in at 4 in the first university eight in place of Captain Hord who is sick.