ADVOCATE IS PARODY ON ATLANTIC MONTHLY

Reviewer Praises Edition as Equal To Famous Lampoon Editions of Boston Evening Transcript and Crimson

By Charles G. Loring .

The Atlantic Monthly is studied in the English courses of various schools and colleges as an example of English composition. As a protector of the language, Mother Advocate is well justified in varying her flights on Pegasus with a canter on old hack Parody. From the fifth century before Christ when "The Battle of the Frogs and Mice" lamphoned Homer, the parody has been a recognized form of literary criticism. It is as Leigh Hunt said, a positive compliment in recognizing the popularity of the work. But more appropriate to the case in hand it is excellent training for the apprentice writer. He must study the form and thought of his quarry.

So much for justification of the solemn Advocate's successful venture into the pasture usually conceded to the Lampoon. And it is genuine praise to say that this month's Atlantic Monthly matches in wit the famous Fake Crimson, and the Boston Transcript editions of Lampy. As befits the "literary undergraduate publication" the burlesque is not too obvious, in fact June Dandelions, the opening story, might almost have appeared between the authentic buff covers of the Back Bay Monthly. There is the same haunting sense of fatality and say-it-with-flowers motif, the same flattering intimation that the reader can sense the emotional power of the female character without being told the tiresome details.

William Beebe himself would relish Petunia and wish that "all the potatoes on Christendom be magically transformed" as suggested by his namesake, Mr. Boobie. Nor could he nor his admirers take offense at this delicate demonstration of the pathetic fallacy. "Sketches in Pleasant Russia" is more in the undergraduate vein of burlesque, but the dialogue and dialect are good. "Prison Cruelty" is well named, such things should be avoided even in the Atlantic. And the dullness of the portraits of American Women is emphasized rather than enlivened, although its style is admittedly well executed.

The next three prose contributions are not as individualistic as the others. There seems to be a little too much conscious effort in their workmanship. The verse is a pleasant relief in a garden of prose, and the all too scant allowance is varied, easy and expressive.

The Story of Isette Likely is really a continuation of Opal Whitely despite the editorial note that "Nothing at all resembling this diary has ever appeared, and we have been assured from several sources that nothing like it will ever appear again." The original needed no exaggeration, and the most delicate perversion has emphasized the absurd flavor of the articles. The animals' names are masterpieces, and Robinson Crusoe Caruso and Hopalong Cassidy should be godfathers to many family pets.

Even the Contributors' Club and the Contributors' Column share in the performance, and all the details of type and forms aid in the stage setting.

The Book Reviews in the Advocate this winter have been above the average in critical ability and interest of expression. This special number supplements them in a contrasting form and has widened the field for the unofficial study of contemporary publications. It is to be hoped for the sake of the editorial board and the readers that this entertaining experiment is to be repeated in another form next year.