LIBERALS TRULY ORIGINAL

President Rothschild of Liberal League Answers Criticizms--No Connection With Political Parties

John Rothschild ocC., who has just resigned his position as President of the Student Liberal Club to become Executive Secretary of the new Intercollegiate Liberal League, in reference to the recent attacks on the League, made the following statement:

"Someone has blundered, but while the blunder furnished us with a great deal of private amusement perhaps it has misled the general public.

"The widely circulated statement that the Intercollegiate Liberal League was organized by the Intercollegiate Socialist Society is false; the League is the embodiment of a spontaneous student movement which recently began to crystallize at Harvard and Radcliffe. Its intention to maintain a non-committal attitude on social questions was exemplified in the catholicity of the choice of speakers for the Convention. It will be recalled that among those who spoke were John Hayes Holmes, President Briggs of Radcliffe, Doctor Harry W. Laidler and President Eliot. The purpose of the League as embodied in the Constitution and accepted by the Convention reads:

To bring about a fair and openminded consideration of social, industrial, political and international questions by groups of college students. The organization will espouse no creed or principle other than that of complete freedom of assembly and discussion in the colleges. Its ultimate aim will be to create among college men and women an intelligent interest in the problems of the day.

"In other words, the League is working for the development of a type of thinking rather than for the indorsement of specific programs. That doubtless accounts for the attacks of some of the radicals at the Convention and for subsequent fulminations of certain reactionaries. It is the immediate purpose of the League to foster liberal college groups which shall endeavor to inform themselves on problems of the day by calling in the Goliaths from all camps each to champion his special cause.

"It is the belief of those students who are leading the movement that by this process, intelligent social-mindedness will be developed in those who are to be the leaders of the coming generation."