BASEBALL TEAM STARTS INVASION OF SOUTH TODAY

Goode and Russell Show Brilliant Work in Box in Early Contests -- Infield Playing Almost Errorless Game

The University baseball team starts this afternoon for its invasion of the South, where it will play Georgia Tech and Oglethorpe University on April 19 and 20 respectively, at Grants Field, Atlanta. Returning on Thursday afternoon, April 21, the team will arrive in New York City Friday night, and will meet Columbia on Saturday afternoon, April 23. Twenty-one players will accompany Coach Slattery and Trainer "Pooch" Donovan on this trip.

Throughout the season the Crimson team has proved itself a powerful aggregation, defeating its three opponents by decisive scores, gathering a total of thirty-four hits for twenty-seven runs, and fielding accurately, with flashes of bril liance. E. F. Goode '22 and H. S. Russell '22 have shown themselves reliable pitchers, and A. B. Blair '21 has performed consistently behind the bat. Except in one inning in the game with Boston University, when they suffered from a fever of wild throwing, the infielders have played air-tight ball. A. J. Conlon '22 is easily the star of the inner circle, with many hard stops to his credit and no errors on the debit side. The outfield is fast and sure, and can be relied on for hits; F. W. Crocker '22, substituting for L. A. Hallock '22, has particularly excelled in this department.

Southern Opponents Strong

Of the two teams that will meet the University at Atlanta it is difficult to say which is the stronger. Georgia Tech the first to encounter Coach Slattery's men, has played six games and won five. Oglethorpe University, on the other hand, taking on more formidable opponents, counts two victories, two defeats and one tie in its list of five contests. In the series between the two colleges the first game went to Oglethorpe 6-3, and the second to Georgia Tech 8-4, so that there is nothing definite to be learned from these scores.

Georgia Tech, against whom Captain Emmons will first lead his team, boasts a hard-hitting outfield and three tricky pitchers. Barron, a football man, and Esan Settle are particularly potent with the stick; the longest hit ever made on Grants Field travelled from Settle's bat over the right field bleachers in the second game with Oglethorpe. The boxmen are Dan O'Leary, a south-paw, and Thompson and Collins, Freshmen.

Oglethorpe Men Hard-Hitting

Oglethorpe's best bet is Turk, who is rated the super-mounder of the South. He has been directly responsible for all of his team's wins this year; he was in the box when Georgia University was held to a tie, he downed Auburn College, and later overcame Georgia Tech. He is also a heavy slugger, but in this he is not unaided, for his team-mates, Captain Hope, Carlyle, center field, Simms, right fielder, and Thaxton, second baseman, are all batsmen who are fond of having the last word. Thaxton is already famous for having landed for two home runs and a triple in the first game with Tech.

It is more than probable that Columbia will not present such a formidable opposition as the Southerners. The Morningside team has been playing rather raggedly, and presented slight opposition to Yale on April 13, both of their pitchers being hit freely by the Blue batters.

The University players batting averages for the first three games follow:

Team Statistics            BattingPlayer Pos.  a.b.  r.  h.  s.b.  s.h.  av.Murphy, c.  2  0  1  0  0  .500Conlon, s.s.  13  6  6  2  0  .467Blair, c.  9  3  4  0  0  .444Crocker, c.f.  12  2  5  3  0  .417Owen, 1b.  12  4  5  1  0  .417Goode, p.  5  1  2  0  0  .400Buell, 3b.  10  2  2  3  0  .200Russell, p.  5  1  1  0  0  .200Janin, r.f.  12  3  2  3  1  .167Emmons, 2b.  9  1  1  0  3  .111Thayer, l.f.  9  4  1  2  0  .111Totals,  98  27  30  14  4  .31