OUR JOB

In an article in the Boston Post former Vice-President Marshall suggests a matter of importance to the younger generation, which may be stated in a phrase as the break-down of legislative government. The ascendency of government by men as opposed to government by law began in the administration of Theodore Roosevelt. History shows that legislation is always behind of and is attempting to catch up with the times. There was a period in our history when people turned to Congress with their troubles and requests, but now the President and the various Boards at Washington are the center of all important appeals. Railroad owners, labor leaders, and reformers -- all take their disputed requests and schemes to the White House. The Interstate Commerce Commission occupies a building of considerable size and employs a veritable army of clerks. A large portion of the most important powers formerly exercised by Congress is delegated now to Boards, "Senatorial Oligarchy" has become a thing of the past.

Mr. Marshall says that we boast of Democracy, but that we are really a limited monarchy. This statement is, perhaps, an exaggeration, but it is indicative of the trend of the times. Our national growth in industry, population, and size is fast breaking down the skeleton of legislative government. It seems inevitable that this increasing burden of management will eventually outgrow our present legislative system. Accordingly two alternatives remain; resting responsibility with the Executive or inventing a new method of representation through legislation. At present the former is rapidly gaining recognition, and no overtures of any consequence have been made for the latter. People have come to distrust the practicability of making innumerable laws for the regulation of society. The plan which satisfied the demands of the comparatively simple order of our forefathers cannot long endure the complexities of the present time. It will be part of our work to make the transition safely.