UNUSUAL SPIRIT SHOWN BY 262 TRACK MEN

One of Largest Squads in History of University Now Practicing Daily--Mile Takes First Place in Popularity With Varsity Runners

Although cold and uncomfortable weather prevailed on Soldiers Field yesterday afternoon, very few absences acquired from Coach Bingham's track squad, augmented in the last three days from 218 to 262 men, a decided gain in comparison with last year when the squad at no time totalled more than a little over 200. Coach Farrell, who has charge of the weight men, commenting on the remarkable track spirit that is being shown this year said yesterday. "We have this spring a larger squad, I think, than we ever had before; and those who are out are showing more spirit and determination than I have seen in University track squads in all the sixteen years that I have been here."

On account of the weather yesterday the University and the Freshman track men were given a comparatively light work out. The University runners will go through their first real test at the spring trip time trials to be held next Thursday, or if the weather does not permit, on Friday. These trials will be in the form of a scratch meet, which anyone on the squad may enter.

According to statistics compiled by the Crimson the most popular event among the University track men is the mile, 24 being listed in this run. In second place are the 100 and 200-yard dash men, who number 21; while the 440 comes in a close third with 20. The Freshmen have given first place to the 100 and 220-yard dashes with 24 in this class. The mile is second with 17; and the hurdlers and weight men tied for third with ten each.