A SCIENTIST OF COURAGE

In extending its hospitality to Professor Albert Einstein today the University is welcoming a man who is no less to be congratulated upon his moral courage than upon his moral courage than upon the high order of his scientific achievements. For it will be remembered that when in the early days of the war the famous "Manifesto" of German "intellectuals" justifying Germany's stand in the World War was first issued, Professor Einstein not only refused to sign but actively opposed the "Manifesto". By doing so he involved himself with the authorities of the Imperial government and provoked the opposition of all the German Scientific societies-opposition which did much to keep him from that eminence in the world of science to which his mathematical discoveries rightfully entitled him.

Professor Einstein himself admits that the "theory of relativity" for which he is most famous has not yet been definitely proved. Indeed, he has merely pointed out the fact that rays of light are deflected from a straight line by the gravitational field of the sun, a fact which can not be explained by the existing scientific laws, and which Einstein can explain only by a very intricate mathematical formula.

Whatever be the outcome of the present discussion in regard to relativity Professor Einstein is a man who will always be respected both for his discoveries in mathematics and physics, and his conduct during the World War.