UNIVERSITY TENNIS PLAYERS NOSE OUT STRONG M. I. T. TEAM

CARVER DEFEATS CAPTAIN OF HOME TEAM

By winning the, last two sets 6-3, 6-3 after they had dropped the opening one of their match 6-8, Captain de Turenne and Fenno carried the University tennis team to a 4-2 victory over the M. I. T. players yesterday afternoon at the Longwood courts. It was the superior doubles play that finally gave the Crimson a win for the results of the singles gave each team credit for two victories.

Brockman of Tech, who is the former New England Intercollegiate Champion, took the measure of Fenno in a three-set match, the scores being 6-3, 6-8, 6-4, and his teammate, Carver, won from Captain de Turenne, 4-6, 8-6, 6-2, in one of the hardest fought matches of the afternoon. Duane, who has been exhibiting a sensational brand of playing during the past week, took his match from Captain Cauldwell of the Engineers in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3; and Feibleman of the University team evened up the count by defeating Scott in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4.

Duane and Feibleman removed all chances of a Tech victory by capturing their doubles contest from Cauldwell and Scott 6-1, 6-2, but it remained for Fenno and de Turenne to prevent the M. I. T. players from tieing the score. This last doubles match brought forth the best playing of the day and it took the University men three sets to win from Brockman and Carver 6-8, 6-3, 6-3.

The summary of the matches follows::

Singles.-Fenno was defeated by Brockman 6-3, 6-8, 6-4; de Turenne was defeated by Carver 4-6, 8-6, 6-2; Duane defeated Cauldwell 6-2, 6-3; Feibleman defeated Scott 6-2, 6-4.

Doubles.-De Turenne and Fenno defeated Brockman and Carver 6-8, 6-3, 6-3; Duane and Feibleman defeated Cauldwell and Scott 6-1, 6-2.

This afternoon at 4 o'clock the Freshman tennis team will meet the Worcester Academy net men at Worcester. The schoolboys have a strong, evenly balanced team but the Crimson yearlings should be able to gain the long end of the score.