TIMBER INDIFFERENCE

Forest Preservation was long ago brought forward as a movement essential to the nation's future economic welfare. Associations, bureaus and clubs of nature lovers all have joined in the attempt to preserve the woodland of the country for future generations by the adoption of scientific methods of lumbering which in the long run would prove to be economical. The unprejudiced observer, interested in these efforts, would be forced to admit that, although some local societies have done a great deal, their activities have not reached that national scope necessary for any long-time effect.

Like most reformers, forestry associations have been too much inclined to stop at the superficial. Immediate needs and crises loom large and take the attention from the movement as a whole. For instance, bills have been brought into Congress time after time, before that body has been prepared for them by an expression of public opinion sufficient to counteract the pressure brought on legislators by lumber interests. The main reason for the failure of progressive action has been the lack of popular interest.

Any thinking man, after due consideration of conditions, is willing to admit that something should be done; but the prospect of a timber shortage a hundred years from now does not alarm him tremendously. Other problems that will affect him rather than his descendants claim his attention.

President Harding has designated this week as "Forest Protection Week", in an attempt to bring national attention to the bills now being prepared calling for supervision of the timber supply. These measures have slight chance of being passed, however, unless a really powerful sentiment is aroused throughout the country by those in favor of the movement.