RECONSTRUCTION MEN ORGANIZE COMMITTEES

Fifty Students Selected From Various Colleges Will Probably Sail About June 28--Work Offers Excellent Chance to Study Architecture

At a meeting yesterday afternoon in the smoking room of Robinson Hall, twenty-three members of the University, who have signified their wish to accompany the American Students' Reconstruction Unit to France this summer, talked over plans and formed committees for the work of the University organization. R. J. Giddings 2S.L.A. was elected permanent Chairman of the University section of the Unit; P. L. Cheney '21 was chosen Chairman of the Publicity Committee, and S. R. McCandless 1S.A. Chairman of the Committee on Correspondence.

Inasmuch as each college section of the Reconstruction Unit will be expected in a large measure to provide the funds for its own support, the principal problem now confronting the University men interested in the trip is that of financing their part of it. Various schemes were discussed for the raising of the necessary funds. However, nothing will be definitely settled concerning this matter until the Reconstruction Association, which has its office in New York City, selects from the University applicants those who will make the trip to France. And since the Unit will be composed all together of only fifty students from all the colleges wishing to join in the movement, at least half of those members of the University applying will probably not be accepted.

Unit Sails About June 28

Although scheduled to sail from New York to France on the "Paris" June 23, the Reconstruction, Unit will probably not leave this country till about June 28, by which date the year's work in practically every college will be at an end. On arriving in France the Unit will start a three-months' program in that part of the devastated regions lying between Rheims and Verdun. The principal work of the Unit will be to make projects and drawings for the restoration of buildings, to help the surveyors in relocating property lines and laying out new villages, and to help in the rectification, alteration and improvement of town plans.

The benefit which the members of the Unit will derive from this service will be of great value both to them and the future of architecture in America, as France today has in the Ecole des Beaux Arts the foremost architectural school in the world, and the students will work under graduates of this institution.