CREWS SHOW UP WELL IN LONG WORKOUTS

Coaches Try to Develop More Speed With Less Effort -- Special Attention Given to Technique in Morning -- Cover Four-Mile Course in Afternoon

RED Tor, June 8, 1921. -- The University crews had two hard workouts today. Coach Haines has adopted a plan of emphasizing form and technique in the morning's practice and racing his two crews in the afternoon. In accordance with this plan he and Mr. Herrick took the first eight out this morning and worked on the finish, and the beginning of the recovery. The coaches are trying to develop more speed with less effort.

This afternoon the two crews went downstream over the four-mile course against the wind and tide. University A settled down to a low stroke and let B pull out a half-length lead before the first mile was covered; but after that the positions remained unchanged until after the two-mile mark, when the first boat came up even. Pierson called for ten several times and Appleton and the men behind him responded well. The seconds fought hard and each time Appleton went as high as 30, Matthews put up his beat to 35. Both crews came in with a strong finishing spurt.

Despite very rough water, the eights did especially well today, and the coaches were pleased with the day's work.

The Freshman crew is at the top of its form at present and Dr. Rowe is giving it very easy work, against the possibility of its getting stale