RECONSTRUCTION UNIT STARTS HOME TOMORROW

Finishes Over Two Months of Work in Devastated Regions of France--Assigned to Rheims, Soissons, and Verdun Districts

With over two months of work in the devastated region of France to its credit, the American Students' Reconstruction Association, which includes men from eleven universities and colleges of the country, sails tomorrow from France to arrive in this country about a week later.

The Reconstruction Unit arrived in Paris on July 1 and was entertained there by the French Government. About a week later active work began when the fifty men were divided into three parties sent respectively to Rheims, Soisson, and Verdun. From these centers small parties of not more than three or four men were sent to smaller towns which had been partially or entirely destroyed in the year.

The men sent to these towns were designated as either engineers or architects. The former were employed in making new maps for the destroyed towns, in order that information about the changed topography and about the property lines might be at hand in reconstructing the town. The architects drew up plans for new town halls and public buildings in the destroyed villages.

Cooperate With French

Barracks for the men were provided by the French Government and all the work was carried on in cooperation with the French departmental engineers and architects.

Of the fifty men in the party the following ten represented the University: George Waller Blow of La Salle, III., last year a member of the Business School; Philip Loring Cheney '21, of Boston: Charles Burbank Crockett, E.S., of Brandon, Vt.; John Fiske '21, of Cambridge; Clifton Powell Fordyce '23, of Hot Springs, Ark.; Rupert John Giddings, S.L.A., of Baldwinsville, N. Y.; Francis Head, S.L.A., of Bangor, Mr.; Stanley Russell McCandless, S.A., of Davenport, Ia.; Rowe Browning Metcalf '22, of Orange, N. J.; and James Reed Morss '21, of Chestnut Hill. Yale, Princeton, M. L. T., Columbia, Cornell, U, of P., U. of Ga., U. of Texas, U. of Mich, U. of Cal., and the University were represented.