SEPTEMBER FOOLS' DAY

Once upon a time a man graduated from the University with a unique record: he had never attended a class on Saturday. That, however, is a victory over the "Courses of Instruction" that is achieved so seldom that we do not advise an attempt to duplicate it. But there are other less notable victories that are quite possible. Aside from those who pursue the 'snap course",--that elusive animal which is likely to change its form unexpectedly--there are some who will remember that they may avoid walking up stairs in Sever by a little foresight in choosing courses; that they may insure against the annoying Saturday sections by the exercise of discretion. No doubt there are numerous other devices for smoothing the academic faith. Perhaps come new ones will be conceived today. Perhaps some brilliant Sophomore will happen upon a schedule without a single drawback.

At any rate we may be sure that there will be as many attempts to avoid the bumps on the road of education as ever. It seems incredible that this attitude should exist, that we have all become so hardened to its existence that we accept it as comedy rather than tragedy. There is this to be remembered, however; those who want a painless education would profit very little from a more vigorous course of instruction.

But if we refrain from censure we cannot help regret that no word of advice will be of any use to those lower classmen who have been misinformed about college, who have really believed that the only thing worth while about it is "college life". Because when they have had enough of this state of mind--for that is all there is to "college life"--they may wish they had not been so clever. It is surprising how many Juniors and Seniors there are who will tell you that there is something in education after all.