SQUASH TEAM LOSES TO UNION BOAT CLUB

E. M. Hinkle '23 Wins Only Point for University--Championship Match to be played Off Saturday the 28th on Courts to be Selected Later

The Union Boat Club, by defeating the University Squash team in four out of five matches in a hard-fought contest on its own courts on Saturday, is now tied with the Crimson for first place in class "A" in the club championship of the Massachusetts Squash Bacquets Association. Both teams have a record for the season of 19 matches won and six lost. The championship will be decided on Saturday, January 25, on some neutral courts which will be chosen by the association.

The University needed to win only two of the five matches with the Boat Club in order to gain the championship, and although Captain Malcolm Bradlee '22 and D. McK. Key '22 played especially well, E. M. Hinkle '23 was the only University player to win his match.

In what is considered by many as the best played match of the season, C. C. Peabody, captain of the Union Boat Club, defeated Malcolm Bradlee '22 in a contest in which he extended himself to the limit. Bradlee, furnishing unexpected opposition, outplayed his more experienced opponent in two of the games, but his failure to use drop-shots, coupled with Peabody's steadiness and remarkable anticipation of his shots, were to his disadvantage in an otherwise evenly played match.

A still closer encounter was that between D. McK. Key '22 and Mark Wendell. The University player, winning the first two games, was soon stopped by his opponent's superior steadiness. The result was always in doubt, but Key, leading 13-11 in the fifth match and hence only two points from winning, became erratic and allowed his opponent to gain five points in quick succession, and the match.

Myles P. Baker '22 of the University ran up against a player superior in court tactics and experience in C. J. Lennihan, and was able to win only the first game. R. E. Smith '22, playing Bartlett Harwood, after winning the first game, was unable to get started against his opponent's smashing shots, and lost the next three in succession. E. M. Hinkle '22 defeated W. F. Howe, former Yale quarterback, in a close-fought five-game encounter, scoring the University's only point.