SUPERIOR PLAYING WINS FOR CRIMSON

Last Period Featured by Clever Work of Gordon -- University's Defence Works Steadily

Displaying a superior brand of play in every phase of the game, the University basketball five won from the Massachusetts Agricultural College team last night by a 33-20 count. In spite of the tight five-man-defence which the Aggies offered, the Crimson managed to break through repeatedly or, when unguarded, tally on long, mid-floor shots. The game was fast throughout and, in the middle of the second period both coaches put in fresh fives to relieve the first-string players for a few minutes.

Weakness in shooting and the absolute inability to follow up shots under the basket kept the visitors from rolling up a lead at the start, for on the first few plays they had possession of the ball and made countless attempts to cage baskets. The striped-jerseyed men, however, did chalk up the first points but Captain McLeish put his team in the lead by a point from the foul line and a basket, which he shot after receiving a pass from back court. From then until Gordon's final basket which fell as the whistle blew, the University stayed at the front with a safe lead.

Tumey, the fast shooting Aggie right forward brought his team to within one point of tying the Crimson by tossing in a one-handed shot, when he had stumbled and fallen to the floor. Black, Fitts and McLeish, however, each scored from the floor and the last named made two more successful free tries before the visitors could count again, running the score up to 12-4. Then M. A. C. staged a sharp rally which was offset by long shots by Black and Fitts, the half ending with the score reading 17-11 in favor of Coach Wachter's men.

Steady Work Features Last Period

The last period was featured by the clever, long tallies of Gordon and by the steady defense work of the Crimson backs. With the score at 27-17 substitutes for both teams went in, Captain Gowdy of the Aggies being the only may who played through the contest. The visitors, however, were able to regain only one point of their handicap before the regulars were sent back in. The game closed with the Crimson on the offense, McLeish scoring once from the foul line and Gordon dropping in two in the closing minutes of play.

Throughout the entire game the University players showed themselves to be at top form and, although they were slightly bewildered at first by the visitors five-man defence, a type which they had not faced before this season, their fast passing and accurate shooting enabled them to build up a high score. The defensive power of the five has improved greatly since the last contest for opponents' passes were repeatedly broken up and the Aggies had few clean shots at the basket.

The summary: HARVARD  M. A. C. McLeish, Lowenthal, r.f.  l.g., Gowdy Lowenthal, Gorden, Pallo, l.f.  r.g., Bike, Hale Fitts, Love, c.  c., Marshman, Thompson Black, Miller, r.g.  l.f. Smith, Roser Rudofsky, Feiring, l.g.  r.f. Tumey, Rarrows

Score, Harvard 33, M. A. C. 20 Goals from floor, Gordon 4, McLeish 3, Fitts 3, Black 3, Tumey 4, Smith 3, Marshman. Goals from fouls, McLeish 6, Pallo, Tumey 3, Roser. Referee, Tower, Umpire, MacDonald. Time of halves, 20 minutes.