CHESS TEAM TAKES THIRD PLACE

Columbia Wins Championship of League for Sixteenth Time

In the twenty-ninth annual Intercollegiate Chess Tournament, held at the Brooklyn Chess Club, New York City, during the vacation, the University chess team took third place in its match record, only half a point behind Princeton. Columbia retained the title of the Columbia-Harvard-Princeton-Yale Chess League by defeating the University 2 1-2 to 1 1-2 in games, and in winning from both Princeton and Yale by the score of 3 1-2 to 1-2. The Yale team, which was defeated by the University men on November 18 by the score of 5 to 3, won from the Crimson in the tournament, thus tying Princeton and the University for second place in the game record, with one victory and two defeats.

Columbia, now champion for the sixteenth time, lost only one match in the entire series, when Captain K. O. Mott-Smith '22 of the University won from Captain M. A. Shapiro of the Blue and White team, whom he also defeated in last year's tournament. Columbia now claims the American intercollegiate title by virtue of its victory earlier this season over the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, champions of the Intercollegiate Chess League.

The University team played as follows: Captain K. O. Mott-Smith '23 A. H. King '24., W. T. Pattison '25, and L. H. Rouillion '24.