TORONTO GAINS WIN FROM CRIMSON, 6-1

Fast Skating and Clever Stick-Work of Toronto Forwards Stopped by Crimson Defence in First and Last Periods

Fought to a standstill in the first and last periods, but breaking loose with a fusilade of goals in the second, the Toronto University hockey team overcame the Crimson combination 6-1 at the Arena last night. This victory gives the Canadian team the remarkable record of ten straight wins in its successful invasion of this country, last night's contest being the final game in the trip.

At the close of the first period in the Arena struggle the score stood 1-1 with neither team showing any signs of weakening. The second period opened with the Crimson players still breaking up the Toronto attack time after time in excellent fashion. About the middle of this session, however, the University appeared to weaken momentarily as Carson, Wright, and Hudson, the invading forwards, swept irresistably down upon the Crimson net, tallying four times before the whistle blew. At the very start of the last period Carson shot the final goal and from then on the Crimson defense stiffened and held the Canadians scoreless for the remainder of the game.

Toronto Has Speediest Skaters

The Toronto men gave one of the most dazzling exhibitions of fast skating and clever stick-work that has ever been seen at the Arena. Carson, Hudson, and Ramsay were all speedier skaters than any man on the University team except Captain Owen. Carson stood out above any other man on the ice. His spectacular dribbling through a seemingly impenetratable mass of Crimson men, his hard and accurate shots, and his defensive work all stamped him as one of the best forwards in amateur hockey. He made four out of the six Toronto tallies.

In endurance, speed, and stick-work the Canadians were superior, but in team-work and good defensive play Coach Claflin's men clearly had the edge. The whirlwind Canadian attack seldom was able to penetrate the Crimson forward line, checking back in perfect order in front of the advancing skaters. When the Canadians did break through the primary University defense, their volly of shots met a stonewall in Higgins at goal. In the first period the University net-protector made several fine stops and out of some twenty shots allowed only one to get by.

The University offence did not function as well as the defense, the forwards losing several fine chances to score. It was plain that the Crimson forwards could not keep going at their full speed through- out the entire game on account of the lack of able substitutes. Martin played every minute of the contest, while Baker was out of the game only for a short time. The latter, next to Captain Owen, showed up best for the Crimson. He broke loose on numerous occasions, saved at least one sure Toronto goal by his alertness, and did fine all-round work.

Captain Owen accounted for the only University tally of the evening after one of his spectacular dashes the length of the rink. Starting from behind his own net, Owen, dodged the Toronto forwards, skirted the secondary defence, and sent a clean shot by Captain Langiry at goal.

The summary:

Score: Toronto 6, Harvard 1. Goals by Brown, Ramsay, Carson 4, Owen. Referees: Rocque and Sullivian. Time: Three 15-minute periods.

TORONTO  HARVARDWright, Hudson, l.w.  r.w., Baker, AngierCarson, c.  c., MartinHudson, Westman, Wright, r.w.  l.w., Walker, Hill, AngierBrown, Beatty, Westman, l.d.  r.d., OwenRamsay, Wright, r.d.  l.d., Crosby, GratwickLangtry, g.  g., Higgins, Flin