AMHERST FELLOWSHIPS OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS

College Graduates May Apply for Memorial Fellowships Before December 15--Include $2000 a Year--Mean Some Study in Europe

The Committee in charge of the Amherst Memorial Fellowships has announced that applications will be received until December 15, 1922, for an appointment to a fellowship for a term beginning September 1, 1922.

The purpose of the fellowships is thus expressed in the deed of gift: "Realizing the need for better understanding and more complete adjustment between man and existing social, economic, and political institutions, it is my desire to establish a fellowship for a study of the principles underlying these human relationships."

To be eligible for a fellowship a man must be: (1) a college or university graduate; (2) a man of sound health; (3) a leader; (4) a person of marked mental ability in some branch of the social sciences, economics, politics, and history; (5) endowed with a spirit of service rather than ambition for personal advancement and ready to devote his life to the betterment of social conditions.

The initial appointment will be made for a period of two years, but may be extended to three or four years. Each holder of a fellowship should spend half of his appointment in Europe and follow a plan of study approved by the Committee in charge. He is expected to make written contributions to the literature of his subject, the form of such publications as may be made to be determined by the Committee.

The fellowship carries with it a stipend of $2000 a year. Applications should be made on a blank provided for the purpose and should enclose a letter from some one who knows the candidate's character and ability, an essay or manuscript typical of the applicant's work, and a statement of the study he should like to pursue. The award will probably be made early in February, 1923. All communications should be addressed to Mr. W. H. Hamilton, Amherst College, Amherst, Mass.