RELATIVELY TRUE

The ancient Egyptian symbol for infinity was a serpent holding his tall in his mouth. It now transpires that the Egyptians had a much better symbol than ours of to-day, which is the complicated and arbitrary figure 8 inverted. For Einstein, and a colleague who comes forth as a second enemy of common sense, Dr. Weyl, have reached the conclusion that infinity is nothing more than a serpent with his tall in his mouth-merely an infinite circle.

This idea is quite logical in the light of what we have heard from Einstein in former years. He has proved that light may come to us in a curved line. In a photograph of the sun taken during a recent eclipse, six stars were shown to be out of their ordinary places, and the explanation is (according to the theory) that the sun exerts an attraction to the light ray as it comes from the distant star, thus bending the ray, and distorting our visual conception of the universe. Thus it may be proved that no stars are where they appear to be.

All this is a relatively old story, but the worst is yet to come:-Since infinity is a circle, eternity-which is merely time, infinite-is also a circle. This does not sound so startling, but consider the consequences of the idea, if it is correct-the past and the future may meet. What is to come may be the same as what has been. Distinction between "will be" and "has been" is useless. The future is the past, the past the future, and the present a combination of the future and the past. A. D. runs into B. C. and the order of things gets all mixed up. Time is the fourth dimension, in which the straight lines of all the other dimensions meet, merge, separate and start all over again. Now, since time is the fourth dimension, why shouldn't time start all over again?

We are apt to set this aside as fantastic, imaginative, and utterly impossible. But was not the world a flat surface until the year 1492 A. D.? It was only then that men became first aware that the straight line of the earth's surface was curved, and that a man could return to his starting-point simply by continuing far enough in what appeared to be a straight lien. Why is it not equally sensible to believe that a man might literally regain his second childhood if he could live long enough? It is relatively certain that America was discovered long before Adam was ever ejected from the Garden of Eden, Ain't nature wonderful?