LEADING COLLEGE GOLFERS TO PLAY IN EXHIBITION MATCH

Exhibition Match Will be First Step in Campaign for $150,000--Hope to Have Golf Course by Next July

The exhibition match which the Harvard Golf Association has been planning will take place on Friday, October 20, at 1.30 o'clock. The Association expects the match to be played off at the Brookline Country Club, but it is not definitely settled that they can have the course. The four contestants will be J. R. Sweetser, R. K. Knepper, R. T. Jones '23 and F. W. Ouimet.

Sweetser is the present National Amateur Champion, and also the Metropolitan Champion. He is a senior this year at Yale and won the Intercollegiate title in 1921.

Knepper is the present Intercollegiate Champion. He was a semi-finalist in the National Amateur Championship, defeating Cyril Tolley, the best English entry in the tournament in one of the earlier rounds. He is a sophomore at Princeton.

R. T. Jones '23 has the highest competitive record of any man in the National Championships for the last four years. He holds the Southern Championship, and was runner-up in the National Open Championship and semi-finalist in the National Amateur Championship.

Ouimet has held the Massachusetts State Open Championship for several years. He is considered one of the strongest amateurs of the past ten years. In 1913 he won the National Open Championship by defeating the two British professionals, Ray and Vardon.

Expect Large Crowd

The proposed match will undoubtedly be one of the best exhibitions ever staged in America, and it is expected that one of the largest crowds that has ever witnessed a golf match will turn out to watch the play. The price of admission will be $1.10.

The Harvard Golf Association is planning to make this match the opening move in its campaign for $150,000 to build a Harvard University golf course. H. K. Clay '24, President of the Association, is also planning to send a circular letter to all Harvard graduates who are known to take an interest in golf. This letter will set forward the need of a University golf course and will ask for contributions toward the sum needed to build one.

Tentative plans for this course are already under way. Six sites, all of them within easy reach of Cambridge, have been offered to the Association. The architect who is to build the course has promised to have it ready for use by July, 1923. This course will be for the use of the alumni, faculty, and students of the University.

H. K. Clay '24 announced last night that the exhibition match may be combined with a Collegiate Honor match between the three colleges, Sweetser representing Yale, Knepper representing Princeton, and Jones representing Harvard. This, however, has not been definitely settled.