THE BREAKING POINT

When a class election, advertised for days beforehand, not only by bulletin board notices, but also by individual post-cards sent to every member, fails to come up to the constitutional quota by half of the required sixty percent vote, the condition of the class might be termed serious. It has been serious in every class for the past few years. But it has reached a point where it cannot be labelled "regrettable" or "unfortunates" and dismissed with an easy shrug of the shoulders as a "lack of class spirit". The Junior state of mind goes far deeper than that. The thing has come to a head and in one way or another has got to be lanced.

The Greeks had a method of voting by which the man who received the most ballots was exiled and the lowest in the voting took office. Apparently a form of this ostracism is the only way for the Junior Class to elect its officers. Certainly some change has got to be made.

If each class, electing its officers for Freshman year, voted once and for all on the question whether it would have any officers during the two middle years, the problem would be cleared up effectively. A class which decided to have official leaders chosen each year would commit itself definitely and there would be an end to the excuses of "not knowing the candidates." If on the other and the decision was to have no Sophomore or Junior officers, the cloud of criticism about "lack of spirit" and "indifference" would disappear. In either case, this miserable, dismal farce of the annual middle class elections would be stopped.