COMPETITION FOR SETS TO BE USED IN "THE JILTS" STARTS TODAY

PLAY TO BE PRODUCED IN VIEW YORK EARLY NEXT YEAR

A competition for the designs of the settings of "The Jilts", the play by Mr. Philip Barry which won the Belmont prize this year, will begin today under the auspices of the 47 Workshop. Mr. R. G. Herndon of the Belmont Theatre has agreed to commission the winner of the contest, whose sets will be used when "The Jilts" is produced early next year.

The competition will be open to all members of the 47 Workshop, whether at the university or at Radcliffe College, and to such other persons as are considered eligible by Professor G. P. Baker '87, Professor Arthur Pope '01, or Mr. H. H. Clark of the Boston Art Museum School.

May Arrange for Readings.

Descriptions of the settings required, may be had at the office of the 47 Workshop, Lower Massachusetts Hall, where candidates may also arrange for a reading of the play, the manuscripts of which are limited in number. Since drawings of the sets will not be considered, candidates must submit models, which are to be delivered at the Workshop before 5 o'clock December 9. These must be painted and equipped for lighting, and are to be on the scale of one half inch to one foot. The best of the models will be lighted and set up for the judges, who will be Professor Baker, Mr. Herndon, and their advisors..

The stage of the Belmont Theatre is 25 feet deep and has a proscenium opening of 24 feet, while the auditorium seats between 500 and 600 and is rather narrow, with the lateral side lines diverging only slightly from the proscenium opening; this will require special treatment in the designs.