PLAYING BY PROXY

Squash matches between men in the University, and friends unable to be present, but are playing by proxy, have become common-place in Randolph Gymnasium. This is true, at least, in theory. A player and his partner sign up for one half-hour period, and the same court is often reserved for the next half-hour by men whose names are not to be found in the University directory. Or Johnson and Jones may sign up for the first period, while Jackson engages the court with his partner Smith, later. Since Jones and Smith are for the moment traveling in Europe, Johnson and Jackson play for a full hour. Meanwhile two other students are unable to get the use of a court during the whole afternoon.

Abuses such as this have crept in, until the privilege of allowing one man to sign for both himself and partner is in danger of being abrogated. Even seniors, and members of the team have played the game of "seeing how much they can get away with". Nevertheless the time limit of a single half hour during the afternoon is for the benefit of the majority, and has been proved necessary. The University authorities have shown themselves ready to adjust rules to the convenience of the student, as yesterday, when the time for signing for courts was changed at a request from the players.

It is through the generosity of the University that Randolph Gymnasium is open to everyone without fee. A black-list, which has been proposed, should be proved unnecessary. The question is an open one. The undergraduate can take his choice.