A WET PLANK

When bluebooks in Leavitt's offered to undergraduates opportunity to express desire for a swimming team enough interest was shown to warrant the resurrection of a corpse nearly two years in the tomb. The H. A. A. has promised a coach and on first appearances the prospects for the revival are excellent.

One great difficulty, however, remains, a pool. Huntington avenue "Y" has offered one of the best tanks in New England to the prospective team; but naturally this could only be available at the inconvenient hours when it is little used. Furthermore Huntington Y. M. C. A. is in Boston and can hardly be considered easy of access.

In Cambridge there are absolutely no facilities suitable for the team; and it was the inaccessibility of the Y. M. C. A. which in large measure caused the team's former decease Only a miraculous mutation into a sort of terrestrial fish apparently can save it again, unless like Alice and the mouse the enthusiasts can swim in their own tears.

At present there is a fund of about $12,000 raised by subscription eight years ago and now held in security, which, although originally intended for a gymnasium, could be used towards the construction of a pool. There is also the possibility of financial aid from the H. A. A.; and, if necessary, an appeal to the college and the graduates.

Only a large pool, owned by the University, and for the exclusive use of students, can make possible a successful team and at the same time satisfy the desire of many men for swimming else-where than in the Charles. Until that is attained, student swimming is impossible and only phenomenal enthusiasm can produce a victorious team.