More About Tickets

Communications

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

Your recent editorial on the distribution of football game tickets is certainly to be commended, especially that portion which demanded a definite and predicable policy to be adopted by the H. A. A.

Football along with other undergraduate activities is of interest primarily to Harvard College men, and only incidentally to Harvard graduate students. This fact proves itself. The "Varsity" in any activity from chess to football is the college representative first; secondarily it stands for the university as a whole. The exclusion of other than undergraduates from participation shows this. It is my firm belief that the University was, is and will be built around Harvard College, and that our graduate schools, important and recognized as they are, are yet mere appendages of the true Harvard--Harvard College.

I hurl as no indictment but state as a fact that there is a real lack of interest among our graduate students in football as well as other activities of Harvard College. These men are interested in the welfare of the college that granted them their degrees, in the college which they perhaps represented, at least cheered for, and which they still, as is only right and commendable, are most proud of. But that college, excepting Harvard men, is not Harvard.

Is it strange then that Harvard College graduates, recognizing the right of Harvard undergraduates to precede them but denying that graduate school men should share pro rata in ticket distribution with them when there is only a limited number of seats at Harvard's disposal, should ask the H. A. A. to heed this situation? May we hope that the words of Harvard College spoken by its official spokesman, the CRIMSON, will bear weight for the future? SoL A. ROSENBLATT '22, 2L.

P.S. A point of information: Does the H. A. A. believe that the presence of the feminine sex in goodly numbers in what was thought to be an exclusive cheering section by those assigned to it for the Princeton game (open stone part section 34) is an incentive to cheering efforts, or an implied request that members of the section demean themselves as per example of their lady neighbors, or what?

November 12, 1922.