D. C. PEATTIE '22 WINS POETRY SOCIETY PRIZE

M. A. Best '23 and R. E. Greene ocC. Receive Honorable Mention in Intercollegiate Contest -- "Broken Wings" Is Winning Subject

Donald Culross Peattie '22 of Tryon, N. C., has been awarded a first prize of $75 in the intercollegiate poetry contest of the Poetry Society of America, for his poem entitled "Broken Wings". Two members of the University, Marshall Ayres Best '23 of Evanston, III., and Ralph Edward Greene ocC. of Palouse, Wash., were given honorable mention.

The contest was open to undergraduates of all colleges in the United States. Over a thousand manuscripts were, submitted, coming from colleges and universities in 28 states. The judges were Mr. Witter Bynner '02, well-known playwright and former assistant editor of McClure's Magazine; Mr. Arthur Davison Ficke '04, author and poet; and Mr. Haniel Clark Long '10, of the Poetry Society.

Following is the complete list of awards:

First prize, $75, to D. C. Peattic '22 for poem entitled "Broken Wings".

Second prize, $50, to Miss E. C. Chilton of Smith College, for a group of poems entitled "Six Poems".

Third prize, $25, to Miss Helen Harvey of Smith College, for a group of four poems entitled "Rommany".

Honorable mention to M. A. Best '23, J. J. Daly of the Carnegie Institute of Technology, R. E. Greene ocC., D. E. Keenan of Cornell University, Miss M. E. Keller of Vassar College, E. D. Kennedy of the University of Cincinnati, Vernon Patterson of the University of California.