THE SHILLELAGH BURIEDT

The adoption of the constitution of the Irish Free State marks the complete ratification of the Irish treaty. That no opposition will be met in the British Parliament has been virtually promised by Mr. Bonar Law. In essentials, the new constitution follows the British North American Act which gave dominion independence to Canada. If this form of government proves as successful in Ireland as it has worked out in Canada, the out-standing sore spot of the Empire will be healed.

Under existing conditions it is hard to see how any far-sighted Irishmen can ask more than the new constitution gives. An oath of allegiance to the King is required of every member of the new Parliament, but that is a form more than anything else and ought not to stick for long in the Irish throat. The Crown, too, retains a viceroy in Iceland, but he is governed by the wishes of the wholly Irish executive council. Except in the case of actual invasion the Irish Free State is not committed to active participation in any British war without the consent of its own Parliament. At the same time the British navy continues to protect the Irish coast. So much leeway is allowed under the new constitution, that even a tariff barrier may be raised by Ireland against British goods.

Given everything short of actual independence, the great question now is whether Ireland has more than she can stand. The Free State, through the executive council chosen by the Parliamentary majority, has undertaken to guarantee rights which England has failed to maintain; "dwellings cannot be entered except in accordance with law"; "freedom of conscience and the free profession and practice of religion are inviolable rights." Free expression of opinion and the right of assembly without arms are also guaranteed. To fulfil these provisions faithfully the new government will have to reverse the traditions of repression and violence which have scarred almost all the pages of Irish history.

The Free State and its new constitution are by no means clear of the breakers as yet. There is still a compact, defiant Ulster to be dealt with, outside the provisions of the treaty and still nourishing the memory of age-long warfare with the South. Much depends on the Free State's policies. Radical interpretation of the constitution would cause a complete face-about in England's attitude and might permanently estrange Ulster. But a government of broad vision, using moderation and firmness in establishing law and order, can win the confidence and allegiance of the most irreconcilable skeptics.