POINTING THE WAY

With last night's performance, the fall production of the Dramatic Club came to an end. As the work of the press agent is done and even the critic has wiped his pen and turned to something else, the subject, from the point of view of news, is "dead". But before the "Life of Man" passes completely off the stage, to be classed carelessly with "revivals" and the "Russian Movement in America", some notice should be taken of what the Dramatic Club has accomplished.

The "Life of Man" as seen in Brattle Hall has been taken apart, put together again, dissected, praised as a whole, criticized bit by bit; accorded in every way the same reception from the press which would greet the appearence on the professional stage of a rare theatrical gem of the first water. Subtle enough tribute to the success of a group of amateurs!

But the triumph of the "Life of Man" is not only significant because the Dramatic Club succeeded in its most ambitious attempt in advancing to the forefront of amateur ranks. The production combined excellent acting with distinctive incidental music, unusual lighting effects, and remarkable settings,--all the original work of undergraduates.

The best of all answers to the specter of "over-emphasis on athletics" which haunts our American colleges, is the continuance of such work as the Dramatic Club has well begun at the University.