An Athletical Fair?

Communication

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The King of sports--namely Harvard football, has been played for its last time this college year. It has often been said, and rightly so, that the only thing of mutual interest at Harvard is her football. Now it seems that that is a serious criticism, and something which every Harvard man should try to disprove by showing more enthusiasm for the other sports of the year. By simply saying there should be enthusiasm and support for the coming athletic events of the year is going to have about as much effect on the mass of Harvard men as if some yearling sophomore should tell his History I instructor or German A section gentleman to raise his mark from a (C) to an (A). The very fact that other activities have not in the past received their due appreciation is evidence enough to show that they will not receive it this year, under existing conditions.

We need to create something new, we need to call on the idealistic minds of Harvard for suggestions as to how to arouse enthusiasm and spirit in sports other than football.

Combining fencing, basketball, boxing, wrestling, tennis and track; and having an Athletical Fair in the Stadium--may be suggested by some. I feel sure that there are many other suggestions which "Father" Crimson would like to hear anyone of which may prove of unmeasurable value in creating enthusiasm and keeping our Harvard cheering section in practice. JOHN SUMNER WOOD '25

December 15, 1922.