CHOOSE AMERICAN RHODES SCHOLARS

Two Graduate School Students, Two Law School Students, and One Member of Sophomore Class Picked

Five members of the University have been chosen by the State Committees of Selection as American Rhodes scholars to the University of Oxford, it was announced yesterday by President Frank Aydelotte of Swarthmore College, American secretary to the Rhodes trustees. Thirty-two Rhodes scholars are appointed from the United States every year, and each is given a scholarship tenable for three years which carries with it a stipend of 350 pounds a year. the selection is made on the success with which the applicant fulfills the three requirements of character and personality, scholastic ability, and physical vigor, whether shown by participation in outdoor sports or in other ways.

The 32 appointments, one from each of 32 states, were made from a field of 344, applicants. The members of the University, whose appointment is subject to the ratification of the Rhodes trustees and the institutions by which they are accredited are as follows: Troyer Steele Anderson 1G, of Hanover, New Hampshire, Dartmouth College. Francis de Liesseline Fergusson '25 of Albuquerque, New Mexico, Harvard College. Edward Billings Ham 1G. of Brunswick, Maine, Bowdoin College. Raymond Harvy Jack 1L of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, University of Pennsylvania. Robert Driscoll Shea 1L. of Indianapolis, Indiana, Notre Dame College.