FRESHMAN FIVE DEFEATS DEAN ACADEMY BY 37-28

Leads in First Period, Trails for Most of Second--Last-Minute Rally Brings Safe Lead--Middleton and McCardy Lead in Scoring

Starting with an aggressive attack in the opening minutes of the contest with Dean Academy yesterday afternoon at Hemenway, the Freshman basketball team finally overcame the visitors by the score of 37-28. The game was featured by an especially close scrimmage during the whole of the first half which left the Crimson in the lead of the count of 15-13. In the beginning of the second period it seemed as if the Academy players had started an offensive which would be impossible to stop but the yearlings tightened up, blocked the attack, and staged a last minute rally which put them out of danger.

The game opened with the Freshmen taking the lead after two brilliant dashes by Middleotn who scored once on individual work and once in an admirable bit of team-work with Samborski. The Dean five soon came back, however, when McCardy opened the visitors' score with a basket after an individual dribble through the yearling guards. The rest of the half was featured by a neck and neck race for the lead, and it was only when the second period had begun that the visitors were able to force their way to the front. For nearly half the final session they retained this advantage when the yearlings offered a sturdy resistance and finally ran up the winning points.