THOSE WHO "ARE"

In athletic circles of today, the psychology of the team is as carefully taken care of as it was grossly neglected yesterday. To make the members of the team feel that the University as a whole is backing them is as important as teaching the fundamentals of the sport. The mass meetings before big contests and the organized cheering at them are two outstanding examples of this change. It serves to bring the student body more compactly behind the teams. It acquaints the undergraduates with the men whom they know only by name, or on the athletic field. This is adequate for the undergraduate body, but what of the large group of former "H" men who have little opportunity to see their younger brothers? It is extremely unwise to let the ideas and feelings of this group be neglected. Experience is an excellent teacher, and these men have had experience.

It is the purpose of the series of luncheons at the Varsity Club to bring old athletes into close personal contact with those of the present. The graduate "H" men have an opportunity to mix freely with the baseball, track, crew, and football men of today, to dine with them at the actual training table. Not only is it possible in this manner to bring the group of Harvard athletes together, but also the spirit of the old wearers of the Crimson is passed on to its present defenders. Harvard athletics will benefit if the attendance at these frequent luncheons will grow, both of the athletes who "have been" as well as those who "are".