THE "US" IN BONUS

Even if the national treasury were bursting with billions, the American Legion ought to hesitate long before saying "WE demand" a bonus for ex-service men. When the fact is that the paying of a bonus will be a decided handicap, the Legion, by its action, has put an unmistakable cash value on patriotism. Serve your country but be-mighty careful it serves you--not only by its offering you protection from injustice and an opportunity to work and live, things beyond price, but in terms of dollars and cents. How does this attitude of the Legion square with that of 1919 when it came into existence?

From an account of the St. Louis convention in the "Outlook" G. P. Putnam says: "'What was the most notable thing done?' I asked Colonel Roosevelt at the close of the caucus.

"'Turning down the grab for extra pay', came the prompt reply; he was referring to a resolution demanding six months extra pay for discharged soldiers, defeated chiefly because Roosevelt himself echoed the spirit of the hour by declaring, 'We came here to put something in the Government, not to take something away from it'. All-American and all for America; non-sectional, non-political; and, when it came to something for itself, unselfish too. Truly, some convention."

Something has changed since 1919. According to the Legion's Constitution, its purpose, among other things, was, "to foster and perpetuate one hundred per cent Americanism; . . . to inculcate a sense of individual obligation to the community, State, and Nation". The obligation that can be measured in dollars is pretty worthless compared to one hundred per cent Americanism. For the disabled soldier, let us do everything within reason to help him to help himself; the others, whose service has been such that it is an insult to appraise it in cash, must expect a certain amount of hardship--war never comes without it; that is no reason for adding to the country's burden of taxation, at the same time pointing a finger of scorn at Americanism. If the Legion really stands for this why not frankly amend the constitution to read--as does that of the G. A. R.: "to inculcate"--not a sense of individual obligation to the community but--" a proper appreciation of their services to the country and to a recognition of such services and claims by the American people."