FRESHMAN HOCKEY TEAM HAS MEDIOCRE SUCCESS

Three Defeats Suffered in Most Important Games--Yale 1925 Shows Superiority--Andover and St. Paul's Are Other Victors

Despite a severe early-season handicap due to unfavorable weather conditions, the 1925 hockey team in its game with the Eli yearlings a week ago brought to a close a season of more than average success. In the nine contests engaged in the Freshmen won six, and though losing the final game on February 18 to Yale, more than atoned for this set-back by a succession of brilliant victories early in the winter, defeating such teams as St. Mank's Middlesex, and Dartmouth 1925 with comparative ease.

Following the original cut before the first game Coach Humphrey was able to hold practice regularly and gave his Charges a stiff week of passing, shooting, and team-work. The result of this grueling period became apparant when the Crimson yearlings entered in their first opposition against Malden High on January 10. Not once was the contest in doubt, the Freshmen exhibiting superiority on both offence and defence, winning 10-2.

Immediatley following the Middlesex contest of January 19, Clark Hodder of Newton was elected captain of the yearling sextet. Hodder had shown consistent work at his defence position in the preceding games and distinguished himself especially in the game with Middlesex, being chiefly responsible for the victory.

Conquers High Schools Easily

The Andover 'clash, held at the Boston Arena on January 21, found the Freshmen far below par, the schoolboys inflicting a 2-0 set-back, the first defeat of the season. After decisive victories over Cambridge Latin and Arlington High, Coach Humphrey's charges wound up their string of successes with a sweeping win of 6-0 over St. Mark's.

The yearlings came up against and were defeated by two sextets of unquestioned superiority. Both St. Paul's and the Yale Freshmen had enjoyed seasons approaching championship calibre, the latter being undefeated throughout the winter. The quality of the schoolboy combination is well illustrated by their clash with the University sextet early in the season, when the Crimson team was hard pressed to win in the closing period of play.

Burgess was the highest individual scorer for the Freshmen, running up a total of nine points to his credit, but he was closely pressed by Beals, the brilliant yearling center who ran second with eight scores on his record. The individual records follow:

Burgess 9, Beals 8, Austin 5, Hodder 3, Hammond 3, Bonbright 2, Cibb, Mann.

A complete summary of the results of the season's games follows: Freshmen  10  Malden High  2 Freshmen  4  Dartmouth '25  0 Freshmen  5  Middlesex  0 Freshmen  0  Andover  2 Freshmen  1  Cambridge Latin  0 Freshmen  4  Arlington High  0 Freshmen  6  St. Mark's  0 Freshmen  0  St. Paul's  3 Freshmen  4  Yale 1925  7 Total  34  14