HOCKEY TEAM TIES WESTMINSTER SIX

Coach Claflin's Men Show Perfect Form in Checking Back--Individual Playing of Blue Excellent

Playing the best game of the 1922 season and clearly outmaneuvering its opponents, the Crimson hockey team fought the Westminster sextet to a 1-1 tie last night at the Arena. Coach Claflin's men took the lead in the first period and held in until the last part of the second session when a scrimmage in front of the Crimson net resulted in a goal for the blue-jerseyed players. The final period, hard-fought to the end, left the score the same. It was decided not to play any over-time sessions.

Although not emerging form the struggle actual victory, the University men plainly outplayed their faster and more experienced opponents during the major part of the contest. The West-minster scoring chances came for the most part as the result of individual work in which the blue-jerseyed veterans were noticably superior to the Crimson. But in team-work and general defensive play the University distinctly outclassed Westminster.

Crimson Shows Best Form

The game was neither as fast nor as thrilling as the B. A. A. contest last week, but Coach Claflin's men displayed better all-around work than they have in any match to date this season. The checking back system of defence ran as smoothly as the most exacting coach could wish. Downing and Veno, the two chief threats in the Westminster forward line, met an impenetrable barrier every time they went down the ice. Again and again one of these would try to break through at the far left-hand side of the rink, would meet a stone wall in Walker or Hill, shift the attack to the center, and repulsed there would finally stop dead when he reached the right-hand boards and Baker. Small, the much-heralded Westminster defense player, met the same fate, his showing throughout the evening being of the most mediocre type.

On the attack the Crimson men found it difficult at first to escape the over-taking Westminster forwards, whose speed often enabled them to nip the University offence at the very outset Then Coach Claflin's players started their passing game. Several times beautiful passes directly in front of the Westminster goal seemed on the point of resulting in tallies. Once in the third period Walker, dashing down the right alley, whisked the puck straight over to Owen, quite alone before the Westminster cage. The latter shot the disc by Reaume in completion of the best piece of team-play of the game. But the Crimson captain was called offside and the tally went for naught.

The opening tally of the game was made by Baker three minutes before the close of the first session. The University wing shot the puck in a long, straight line from a position far off to the side almost even with the Westminster goal, the disc hitting Reaume's stick and bouncing into the net.

The only Westminster tally was inadvertently kicked into the Crimson goal by Crosby after a stiff scrimmage within a few feet of the net, Downing and Shag being the rival attackers.

The summary: HARVARD  WESTMINSTER Walker, Hill, l.w.  r.w., S. Veno Martin, Larocque, c.  c., Downing Baker, Larocque, r.w.  l.w., Shag, W. Veno Owen, l.d.  r.d., Small Crosby, r.d.  l.d., Smith Higgins, g.  g., Reaume

Score: Harvard 1, Westminster 1. Goals: Baker, Crosby. Referees: Sands and Verr. Time: Three 15-minute periods.