YEARLING FIVE LOSES HARD-FOUGHT CONTEST

Springfield Freshmen Too Much for Coach Tolbert's Men--Second Period Rally Yields 31-23 Victory--Shooting of Crimson Good

Alternating with the strong Springfield 1925 quintet for the lead off until the last few minutes of play, the Freshman basketball team finally gave way to the visitors' powerful attack by the score of 31-23 in a game played at the Freshman Athletic Building yesterday afternoon.

During the first half the Crimson yearlings had a slight advantage in shooting but the Springfield quintet kept them fighting for every point. King in the center berth was especially noticeable during the first session, scoring four baskets from the floor and breaking up the Springfield attack time after time. The visitors, however, had an advantage in speed, somewhat nullified, however, by careless shooting. At no point in the half did either team have an advantage of more than two baskets and when the whistle blew the score stood 20-19 in favor of the Crimson.

The second half was a different story. The shooting of the Crimson had grown noticeably weaker and this fact coupled with the growing attack and more accurate shots of the visitors gradually weakened the yearlings till the former staged a spectacular rally featured by the expert work of Sturm, the fast Springfield center. The Freshmen offered desperate resistance but they were no longer able to display the accurate work that had put them in the lead during the opening session, and the game closed with the Crimson yearlings eight points behind the Springfield five.

The summary:

Score, Springfield 1925 31, Harvard 1925 23. Goals from floor, Sturm 6, King 5, Reddick 5, Bunting 2, Scully 2, Kistler, Loebs. Goals from fouls, Reddick 5, Samborski 4, Middleton. Referee, T. J. Shea. Timekeeper, Hopkine. Time of halves, 20 minutes. HARVARD 1925  SPRINGFIELD 1925 Heaguey, Scully, Bunting, Middleton, r.f.  l.g., Gordon Bunting, Heagney, l.f.  r.g., Kistler King, c.  c., Sturm Samborski, Bourne, r.g.  l.f., Middleton Quivey, Morrison, l.g.  r.f., Loebs