YALE FRESHMEN DEFEAT 1925 BASKET-MEN 26-18

Yearlings Gain Lead in First Half but Weaken in Final Period--Samborski's Playing Feature of Game--Accurate Shooting Wins for Blue

In the final game of the season, the University Freshman basketball team was defeated by the Yale Freshmen at New Haven, Saturday night, 26-18.

At the start of the game the Crimson yearlings launched a powerful and effective offensive that secured them a nine point lead by the middle of the first half, and held their opponents to a total of four. At this point, however, the Yale quintet rallied uncovering an attack which never diminished until the final whistle blew. By the end of the first half the University was leading with the score 13-12. Almost immediately after the beginning of the second period, the Blue team jumped into a lead which Coach Tolbert's men were unable to overcome.

Rival Captains Shine

As in every game this year Captain Samborski's playing was the feature of the Crimson yearling's play. He contributed 12 of the team's 18 points, three times caging the ball from play and six times scoring after fouls. For Yale, the accurate shooting of the forwards, Williams and Suisman, was outstanding, although the team played well as a whole once they had caught their stride.

Coach Tolbert called upon all ten members of the squad that made the trip, but Merriam at right forward and Morrison at left guard played the entire game.

The summary: YALE 1925  HARVARD 1925 Williams, r.f.  l.g., Morrison Suisman, l.f.  r.g., Samborski, King, Stevens Luman, Thompson, c.  c., Scully, Bourne Bench, r.g.  l.f., Bunting, Middleton, Gebelein Windsor, l.g.  r.f., Merriam

Score: Yale 1925, 26; Harvard 1925, 18. Goals from floor: Williams 6, Samborski 3, Suisman 2, Merriam 2, Luman, Bench, Scully. Goals from fouls: Samborski 6, Williams 4, Suisman, Bench. Referee: Paul Mooney, New York University. Timekeeper: S. A. Koshland '25, Time of halves: 20 minutes.