DR. SHAPLEY RECEIVES PAINE PROFESSORSHIP

Was Appointed Director of College Observatory Last Fall--Chair Has Been Vacant Since 1919--Other Appointments Announced

Dr. Harlow Shapley, who was appointed Director of the College Observatory last fall, has been elected by the Governing Boards of the University to the Paine Professorship of Practical Astronomy, which has been vacant since the death in 1919 of Professor Edward C. Pickering '65, former director of the Observatory.

The Paine professorship was established in 1887 under the will of Robert Treat Paine of the class of 1822, and was held by Professor Pickering from that time until 1919. Dr. Shapley, its second incumbent, studied at the University of Missouri and at Princeton, where he worked under Professor H. N. Russell; and in 1914 became a member of the staff of the Mount Wilson Observatory in California.

Dr. Shapley came to the University Observatory a year ago with the title of Observer, and later was appointed its director. His researches on the size and structure of the stellar universe have attracted widespread attention among astronomers.

Bancroft Beatley '13 has been promoted from an instructorship in the School of Education to an assistant professorship. His subject will be the teaching of mathematics. Emory L. Chaffee '08 has been reappointed assistant professor of physics, and Taylor Starck and Arthur Burkhard have been reappointed instructors in German.