RESPONSIBILITIES OF RED CROSS EXPLAINED

Duty of Caring for Disabled Veterans and for Their Families--Acts as Lawyer to Establish Service Men's Claims on Government

Mr. Arthur G. Rotch '03, Chairman of the New England Division of the Red Cross, when interviewed for the CRIMSON recently, gave some surprising facts in regard to the condition of disabled soldiers. Mr. Rotch said that since the Government had designated the Red Cross to look after the soldiers' families during the war it was natural that the duty of caring for the disabled veterans should fall upon the same organization.

"No one thought," Mr. Rotch began, "that the disabilities because of service would increase, but the war brought out so many new weapons, gas, high-explosive shells, etc., with which we had never had any experience, that the results were beyond our comprehension. Many men who apparently came out untouched are developing tuberculosis as a result of gas, and serious mental disorders as a result of shell shock. It is predicted that the peak of the tuberculosis problem will be reached in 1925, while it will not be until 1928 that the peak of mental disorders will come. This situation, together with the unemployment problem, brings on the troubles of the veterans today. We do not appreciate what those people went through. On the other hand, we have already reached and passed the peak as far as actual wounds are concerned.

Takes Care of Disabled Men

"The Red Cross does not pretend to care for the ex-service men's families as such, but it does take care of the ex-service disabled man and his family, until such a time as his claim is established, until he is receiving hospital care or vocational training, and until his compensation has come through from the Government. The Government can do nothing for a man until he has established his claim and it often takes many months to do this. As time goes on it becomes increasingly difficult to connect up disability with a man's service. The Red Cross in a way acts as the veteran's lawyer. It advises him, helps him make out his claim, secures supporting affidavits, and in the meantime gives actual cash relief to the soldier's family if they are in need. Moreover, it looks after the securing of a guardian for the mentally incapacitated.

"Such functions as these are the responsibility of the man's own community, working through the local chapter or branch. These local organizations assume the responsibility which has been placed upon them by the Government, to give men in the military and contract hospitals certain forms of service which are not supplied by the Government." Mr. Rotch went on to enumerate the many other services which the Red Cross took into its hands. In finishing he said that "aside from its other duties, the Red Cross is recognized as the agency equipped and ready to meet any great disasters that may occur."