HYDRAULIC STAGE WILL HELP SCENE SHIFTING

Present Type of American Stage, Says Mr. Lee Simonson '09, Handicaps Both Playwright and Producer--Shows Advantages of New Apparatus

"The present type of American stage handicaps both the playwright and the producer", said Mr. Lee Simonson '09, the scenic artist of the Theatre Guild, in an interview for the Crimson. "The introduction of the hydraulic or elevator stage", said Mr. Simonson, "would remedy the present evils. With this arrangement, the entire stage may be lowered into the cellar and a fresh setting let down from above. This eliminates the difficulties and expense of the scene shifting in a play with many scenes. In addition to this advantage, the hydraulic stage enables the producer to et unusual scenic effects; for the upper stage is split into sections which may be lowered one at a time. The result is that rides or cliffs can be created with very little additional time in scene shifting.

"Another advantage of the elevator stage is that it fits the real estate problem in America. The new type would take advantage of space under the theatre without using up much more space on the surface.

Different From Revolving Stage

"The hydraulic stage should be carefully distinguished from the revolving stage which has been used in American theatres. This type enables a rapid shift of scenery, but the number of scenes can not be any greater than usual without making, the stage too small. It is impossible to get any effect except the usual level surface.

"The disadvantages of the hydraulic stage are caused by the constant change of occupants in the American theatre. The owner of a theatre does not produce plays in it himself but leases it to a producer for a percentage of the receipts. As expensive new machinery from which he himself would get no additional money.

"In Germany, however, where this kind of stage has been in the use for 15 years, each theatre has a resident company, and the producer is generally the owner of the building. Therefore, it pays him to invest money in improving his production by the installation of the hydraulic stage.

"The growth of resident companies like the Theatre Guild will enable Americans by the improvement of their theatres to put on effectively the play with 11 or more scenes which is at present popular among the best playwrights."